January 27, 2008

Like Sleeping in a Cloud

When it comes to hibernating from October through April, ignore every stupid thing about thread count you've ever heard. Flannel bedding paired with a down comforter from L.L. Bean is the closest I've ever been to sleeping in a (very warm) cloud. On my bed, in varying shades of green, are the sheets, in green ticking stripe, pillowcases and shams, and comforter cover in sea grass. I also have the medium-weight down comforter, queen size.

In the summertime, I'm all about my nautical blanket with lightweight simple white sheets.


In the kitchen, I have a simple blue and wood palette, with blueberry accents. I got the blueberry dinnerware as my first "first apartment" gift, and still love the set. I plan on the serving bowl and plate soon! I also have the blueberry wreath on the wall above the stove. I love a good motif.

I don't have much use for these yet, because they are really meant for a house... but these cordless window candles are light-sensitive, and a nighttime New England house staple, especially during Christmas. One for each street-facing window is the minimum, and they can be added to other windows, as well as the mantel.


One of L.L. Bean's longtime customer favorites is the Adirondack Collection. I love love LOVE the Adirondack chairs, in the basic design, for reading, drinking, tanning, and roasting marshmallows. They look adorable in a pair, facing a remote section of the backyard, or on the porch with a table of flowers between them.


Coming in at a close second for summertime seating is a good hammock. This cotton hammock is reasonably priced and looks great drilled between two trees. Note: Never. Ever. Get the kind that stands on its own. Looks weird and topples easily.


Sitting next to that hammock would be the croquet collection, with fine clay balls and wooden mallets, in great primary colors.


I mentioned this legendary item in my previous post, but the Hudson's Bay Point Blanket ($259 for full size) in white/candy is an unbelievable piece of textile magic. 100% wool is water-resistant and the warmest, heaviest, burrito-yourself-in-it-on-Christmas-Eve blanket out there, and the classic color combination goes with any good decor, for men or women. LOVE.
Not to mention, any catalog that sells bedding, scarves, balsam wreaths and maple syrup in one place, just has to be the greatest American company ever.


Cheers,
Hayley