July 10, 2008

Shecky's Girls' Night Out

If you live in the NYC, Boston, or Philly areas, or any other major city in this great land, and haven't heard of Shecky's Girls' Night Out, I feel bad for you!

You can get more details here, but this is an event held several times throughout the year. In NYC at the Puck Building, the event consists of four floors of vendors selling clothing, shoes, bags, and lots of jewelry. The tickets included free drinks, and they often have 2fer ticket specials, making admission $15 apiece including a goodie bag. The best part is the up-and-coming designers that you see, and the unique pieces that will be copied in Claire's 6 months later. Not everything is cheap, but it's always fun to browse while sipping a mango martini.

Long story short, my Europe trip ended up conflicting with my ticket for June's NYC event, and I couldn't get rid of the ticket. Fortunately, my friend who went took home the goodie bag for me, which is a haphazard, hit-or-miss bag of beauty stuff. Some are sample size, some are full size, and in the past I've also gotten hair bands, earrings and tissues. It's like the proverbial box of chocolates, but if you get the $15 tickets and drink that much in booze (pffft, easy), the goodie bag is a nice bonus on top of a fun night of cocktails and shopping.

Here's what was in this goodie bag:
  • Alagio Rock Hard Hair Spray, 11oz. OK, never heard of this brand but supposedly it keeps flexible control. Cool.
  • Alagio Fast Freeze Hair Spray, 11oz. Aerosol style reminds me of Aquanet. Could be good for updos or smoothing my ponytail for the gym.
  • got2b Smooth Operator Smoothing Hairspray, 1.7oz. OK, guess I don't need to buy hairspray for a while.
  • Redken Satinwear 02 Blow-Dry Lotion, 1oz. Redken stuff is usually awesome, so I'm glad to try one of their protectants. Just wish it wasn't sample size!
  • Schick Intuition Cucumber Melon, one razor. I love the Intuition razors but hate paying for the expensive cartridges. This will be a good stand-in between razor purchases.
  • Dove goFresh in Grapefruit/Lemongrass, 1.8oz body wash and 1oz body mist. I like grapefruit and the sizes are good for travel.
  • Avene Tinted Compact, SPF50. Looks like a cream-to-powder formula, and actually might match my skin. SPF is good, just hope it doesn't wreak havoc on my pores.
  • RoC Daily Microdermabrasion Cleansing Disks, 1 pad. I won't be able to draw any conclusions after using something once, but I have been considering cleaning pads for late nights when I'm too tired to wash my face, so if it feels nice I might buy more.
  • Biore Blemish-Fighting Ice Cleanser, 2oz. If it cleans and cools, sounds nice for summer. Another good travel-size product.
  • Aquafresh White Trays, 7 upper/lower pre-filled trays. A week's supply and probably costs more in drugstores than the $15 I paid for the ticket. Couldn't hurt!
  • Dentaburst Freshening Teeth Cleaners in Cinnamon, 12. Haven't tried these, but might be great for garlicy dinners, midday refreshment and mornings-after. Wink wink.
  • Glade Plugins Scented Oil Light Show, including standing light show, outlet night light, and 1 fragarance for each. The light show is something I'd say aloud is tacky, but probably enjoy for a few minutes at night in my room.
  • Shine to Go Shoe Polishers, 2. I rarely feel the need to polish my shoes midday, but they could be good in the office in case of a lunchtime scuff.
  • Borba Skin Balance Water Mix in Guanabana Fruit, 1 packet. Again, hard to say if it'll work after trying it once, but if it tastes good and it's sugar-free, I'll give it a whirl.
  • EBoost Daily Health Booster Mix in Natural Orange, 1 packet. I'm skeptical of energy drinks in general, but I'll give it a shot before a night out and see how it goes.
  • Shecky's Fashion Map of NYC and Beauty Map of NYC. Both are great if you have never shopped or spa'd in NYC before, or if you have but don't know where to start, or what's in the area you'll be hitting. I'll take time later to make sure they didn't leave anything pertinent out, but they look complete and are laminated!
The next Girls' Night Out in NYC is in mid-October. Sign up for their email list and grab 2-for-1 tickets when you see them. It's worth a try and while the goodie bag is kind of random, the free drinks and pretty things are reason alone to go. It's a great night in the city with the girls, and if you like accessories, especially jewelry, this is your Mecca!

No comments: