Below are my favorite forms of the autumn jacket, and what outfits go best with them. For optimum figure flattery, keep in mind a few things:
- jackets that hit at the hip and knee are universally flattering.
- look for seaming or belt details that will emphasize your waist, ergo making a feminine silhouette.
- pockets adds volume and attention, so be wary of placement. Breast pockets, for example, draw attention to the girls, so if you're well-endowed like me, try to avoid those!
- double-breasted styles draw the eyes in a horizontal direction, so they can make larger women look boxy.
- mixing a loud jacket with a vibrant outfit is a move only supermodels should attemp in shoots for Vogue. If you're wearing a statement jacket, pair it with solids and classic pieces.
The Traditional Blazer
L.L. Bean Galway Herringbone Jacket, $99
Dress Up: short-sleeved blouse, wool trousers, Oxford boots.
Dress Down: beaded camisole, jeans, bright flats
The Modern Trench
Calvin Klein Belted Trench, $159.99
Dress Up: wrap dress, round-toe heels
Dress Down: cardigan, jeans, pointy-toe heels
The Leather Jacket
Michael Kors, $299.99
Dress Up: short-sleeve blouse, pencil skirt, knee-high stiletto boots
Dress Down: chiffon cami, skinny jeans, almond-toed heels
The Ladylike Jacket
J Crew Pique Andrea Jacket, $230
Dress Up: silk shell, wide-leg trousers, almond-toe heels
Dress Down: silk shell, wide-leg jeans, ankle boots
The Patterned Jacket
Bella Pelle Cotton Jacket, $158
Dress Up: black tulip skirt, round-toe heels
Dress Down: straight-leg dark jeans, black flats, red clutch