August 13, 2008

10 Things I'm Craving Right Now

Movie: Marie Antoinette, 9.99 at amazon.com

Sophia Coppola wrote and directed this quasi-modern, sympathetic story of Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI. I'm usually not a fan of Kirsten Dunst, but she is on point in this role. The story focuses mainly on Marie and Louis' intimate struggles, and the dauphine's legendary excesses. Wonderful cinematography, breathtaking costumes, and shots of Versailles that make me ache to return to France.

Book: Crepuscule, by Roman Payne, $17.71 at amazon.com


"I can see it with my eyes: my innocence - broken and dead and lost forever on a filthy street in Paris." Crepuscule is a poetic panorama of life among the Parisians and the expatriates in the French capital. An intense drama flowing with passion, Crepuscule is the epic story of romance, love, freedom, and survival - where the reader is taken on an expedition to the heights of hope and the depths of despair. "The miracle of [Roman Payne's] tales is that, with all that he has inherited, he brings something beautiful and inimitable to the human legacy." - Author, Matthew L. Paris
(taken from www.amazon.com)


CD: Rufus Wainwright, Rufus Wainwright, 7.97 at amazon.com


If you have seen Moulin Rouge, even if yes, you may not be familiar with this pianist/guitarist/crooner. But Rufus Wainwright writes the kind of music that makes you want to fall in love. He makes the piano sing, and effortlessly performs in English, French, and Spanish with impeccable diction. His more upbeat, cabaret-style tunes are done well, too, but it's the original ballads that make me swoon. If he wasn't playing for the other team, I'd be in love.


TV Show: Stylista, CW11



If "The Devil Wears Prada" were a reality show, it would be Stylista. Eleven aspiring fashion enthusiasts vie for a much-coveted editorial job with Elle magazine. They work as assistants to Elle's fashion news director, Anne Slowey, a demanding but well-respected fashion icon. The competitors will carry out an assistant task and a fashion editorial assignment in each episode. Each week, in consultation with Elle's creative director, Joe Zee, Anne fires one person, until the last assistant standing gets "promoted" to the coveted real-life job opportunity. The grand prize includes a paid editorial position at Elle, a paid lease on a great apartment in Manhattan, and a clothing allowance at H&M, all for one year, valued at $100,000. Wednesdays, 9pm.
(from www.cw11.com)

Cosmetic: Dallas Blush by Benefit, $28 at sephora.com



Dallas is a combination blush/bronzer from the ever-expanding Benefit company. The boasts "an outdoor glow for an indoor gal," which is a look for which I'm forever striving in the winter months, when my complexion hasn't seen much sun since about September. I've tried it in the store and it looks natural and effortless, like you just came in from a run. Might have to purchase it next time I hit Sephora!


Shoe: Jessica Simpson Henri Round-Toe Patent Pump, $49.99



I had a long, passionate love affair with the pointy toe, beginning back in the late '90s when I was working summers in the city. I saw this style, edgy and new at the time, in the Madison and Park Avenue boutiques I couldn't afford. I resisted for a month or two, until I tried on a few pairs and realized how they popped jeans and made my legs look longer. But they got overdone a while ago, and I'm also over the ubiquitous peep-toe. My choice for this fall/winter shoe is the demure, unassuming round toe in a bright color and tall heel. The perfect combination of decorum and sex appeal.



Jewelry: Silver Monogrammed Bracelet from thepalmgifts.com, $50



This silver bracelet from The Palm Gifts is simple, affordable, and of course, monogrammed. It looks like the perfect weekday bracelet to pair with my Celtic cross, college ring, pearl studs and Swiss watch. I think I'll even ditch the traditional 3-letter monogram and go with just a big, swirly H instead.


Food: Hyman Seafood Caribbean Shrimp, $13.95




One of the many reasons I'm excited to go back to Charleston! For less than $15 you get a plate piled with grilled, Caribbean Jerk seasoned shrimp and sides, not to mention their fabulous crab plates.

Drink: Bushwhacker



Discovered these in the BVIs, and need to make them more often. Combine equal parts light rum, Bailey's, Creme de Cacao, Amaretto, and Kahlua. Serve over ice, or preferably, blended with a rum floater. Careful - it's deadly and delicious!


Furnishing: Antique Spanish Iron Chandelier, $675 at cedarlaneantiques.com



In my desire to redecorate (with a bottomless bank account), I have been looking for unique lighting, and found it. This Spanish chandelier is old, masculine, ornate, eye-catching and timeless all at once. Perfect.

No comments: